Saxophone Idol is an international competition that is open to all saxophone players age 18-35 and will give three finalists the opportunity to perform live at Chicago’s Jazz Showcase in December 2013 in the hopes of being selected as “Saxophone Idol”. Finalists will be judged by a panel of prominent industry members including:
• Ernie Watts – Keilwerth Saxophone Artist
• François Kloc – Vice President, Buffet Group USA
• Michael Skinner – President, Dansr, Inc.
• Frank Alkyer – Publisher, Downbeat Magazine
• Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of the application.
• Have attained a high level of musical achievement which can be demonstrated through solo performances, honors and other accolades.
• Possess the personal qualities compatible with the high musical standards that are consistent with Buffet Group and Keilwerth Saxophones.
• Not have a record contract or product endorsement.
To be considered you must:
• Be available for travel and performances the week of December 16th, 2013.
• Submit a video recording (no other format will be accepted) with the following repertoire (two songs total, not to exceed five minutes per song):
A “standard” jazz composition (medium or up-tempo swing) chosen from the following:
What Is This Thing Called Love
I Hear a Rhapsody
Have You Met Miss Jones
I Love You
A ballad chosen from the following:
Body and Soul
Darn That Dream
Georgia On My Mind
I Can’t Get Started
Please make separate tracks/files for each selection.
Video must be recorded with a live band/rhythm section.
• Complete all information on the application and submit all materials by September 30, 2013.
• Six (6) semi-finalists will be announced on November 1, 2013 and their videos will be posted to the Keilwerth USA facebook page for social network review and comments from Keilwerth USA “facebook friends.” www.facebook.com/keilwerthusa
• Three (3) finalists will be selected by the Buffet Group judging panel after a review of all comments left for six semi-finalists. Selection of the finalists will be announced November 15, 2013.
• Expenses paid for the three finalists include:
o Airfare for one (1) person to and from Chicago, IL.
(Reservations will be made and paid for by Buffet Group)
o Two (2) nights hotel accommodations in Chicago, IL.
(Reservations will be made by paid for Buffet Group)
• Finals will be held on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at The Jazz Showcase in Chicago, IL.
• Each finalist will perform 2 selections from a list of jazz standard compositions that will be provided at the time finalists are named. Rhythm section will be provided for finals and each finalist will have ½ hour to rehearse with the rhythm section on the day of the finals.
• Winner will be announced that evening and have the chance to perform live with Ernie Watts.
• The Saxophone Idol Finals event will be video recorded and copies will be provided to all finalists.
• “Saxophone Idol” award trophy
• Free Keilwerth MKX alto or tenor saxophone
• One year supply of Vandoren reeds
• New Vandoren mouthpiece and ligature set-up
• Two year subscription to Downbeat magazine
• Performance with Keilwerth Artist ERNIE WATTS during “Saxophone Idol” finals.
• Opportunity to become Official Keilwerth Saxophone Artist
• $1000 towards purchase of any Keilwerth saxophone
• $500 towards purchase of any Keilwerth saxophone
Submissions of poor video and/or sound quality will not be judged.
Deadline for submissions is September 30, 2013.
Semi-finalists will be announced on or about November 1, 2013.
By submitting a video audition to Saxophone Idol sponsored by Buffet Group and Keilwerth Saxophones, I give my full consent to Buffet Group to post my submission on corporate, brand and social media websites for user comments and, if selected as a finalist, to photograph and record me during Saxophone Idol at Chicago’s Jazz Showcase on Wednesday, December 18th, 2013. This includes, but is not limited to, rehearsals, performances, and any other Saxophone Idol activities. I further authorize Buffet Group to use all Saxophone Idol photography and recordings in which I have participated for their own purposes in perpetuity without compensation.
Do I have to play Keilwerth saxophones to enter Saxophone Idol?
No, you may play whatever brand saxophone you currently use.
Is there a fee to enter Saxophone Idol?
No – There is no cost to enter the Saxophone Idol competition
Is Saxophone Idol open to students or professionals?
Saxophone Idol is open to all players between the ages of 18 to 35, regardless of level. However, entrants must not have an existing record contract or product endorsement.
If I win Saxophone Idol, what song(s) will I perform with Ernie Watts at the end of the evening?
Songs for the winning performer will be announced to the semi-finalists once they are selected.
Can my video submission be from a live performance (gig) or must it be a studio recording?
Either performance format is fine assuming the video and audio qualities are of high quality (submissions of poor video and/or audio quality will not be judged).